ILO C189 Anniversary Event Europa - Call for contributions from UNI home care affiliates
On the heels of the completion of the EU Ad-PHS project, a new alliance of organizations including UNI Europa has been formed to work together and acknowledge this important milestone by organizing a multistakeholder conference on the ILO Domestic Workers Convention 189, ten years after its adoption. The event aims to draw attention and increase awareness about the importance of the convention with regard to ratification – but more importantly, implementation. Domestic workers, including home care workers, have faced increased challenges during the global COVID pandemic, working in precarious and sometimes dangerous situations. However, the pandemic has highlighted and drawn attention to the importance of their work, in particular regarding care, and the need to ensure that these workers have access to the most basic rights.
We are looking for papers from all partners, academics, workers, unions, worker cooperatives, employers, civil society, all level of governments, and other representatives. Contributions can be in different formats: video, posters, PowerPoint, academic papers, or other formats for online presentation and sharing. All format types will be considered. Abstracts are also encouraged to crosscut many of the topic areas.
We welcome submission in the following topic areas:
- Organizing and improving social dialogue for domestic workers, like home care workers
- Improving and ensuring domestic worker rights, addressing the gaps in protection
- Reducing undeclared work in the domestic work sector
- Employer promising practices
- Initiatives specifically targeting migrant domestic workers, including home care workers
- Case studies that could be upscaled or replicated
- Implementation steps for C189 and ideas for enforcement
- Domestic/home care work and gender equality